Application for international students and master students IT Engineering

Foreigen admission certificate

All students who have completed their degree outside of Germany must register with our national service provider, uni-assist, the international employment and service office, before they go through our application procedure. Our service provider evaluates your documents and sends you the results back, the so-called Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD). You must enclose this with your application.

Please send uni-assist all documents relevant to your Bachelor's degree and all language certificates. If you are not sure which documents to submit, please contact uni-assist. Make sure that you pay the processing fee to uni-assist, otherwise they will not process your documents. The preliminary examination documentation can only be accepted if it is issued for a degree programme at FH Wedel. You must therefore explicitly apply to uni-assist for the degree programme of your choice at FH Wedel. The preliminary examination documentation gives you a file number with which we can assign your application as well as your GPA (Grade Point Average) according to the German education system. If your GPA is 3.0 or higher, we will not offer you a place at the FH Wedel. Only if your GPA is lower than 3.0 can you continue with your registration.

Language Skills

To gain access to the program, you must take the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH). For the German-language Bachelor programmes IT-Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering und IT Securityyou need German language skills at level DSH-1. For all other German-language programmes you need German language skills at level DSH-2.

In addition, you need English language skills at level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). For all English-language study programmes, you need English language skills at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), but no German language skills.

Visa and residence permit

Especially if you need a visa, we strongly recommend that you apply to us in advance of approximately six months. You can apply for a visa in your home country at the German embassy or consulate. EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Germany. Nevertheless, they need a residence permit in order to study here. You must apply for the permit within three months of your arrival at the responsible foreigners authority! If this does not happen, it can lead to bureaucratic problems.

Application procedure

If you took your university admission certificate in the EU, are an EU citizen or a resident of Germany, you can follow our general application process. Otherwise, the following application procedure will apply to you.


In these guides you will find information about our application process, the registration procedure and our range of courses as well as general information about Wedel and Hamburg.

  • Guide for IT Engineering M.Sc. students


If you are a master student in IT-Engineering, Stephanie Einbrodt will be happy to help you within the application process at FH Wedel.

Nicole Haß will assist all IT Engineering master students during their stay in Wedel. She will help with public authorities, the Buddy Program, visa etc.